Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of each June here in South Africa and most parts of the world. It’s a day when we celebrate our Dads, our grandfathers and even our step-fathers. We use the day to show them our appreciation and how much we care for them and all they have done for us. But there are so many things you probably didn’t know about this international celebration.
What you probably didn’t know about Father’s Day
- Father’s Day originated in 1910 in the United States, when a woman called Sonora Dodd campaigned for a dayto be dedicated to fathers, just like a day had been ear-marked for mothers.
- The day was only officially recognized by the US president in 1966 and became a holiday in 1972.
- The day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June in many countries around the world, including South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- In Germany, the day is celebrated by groups of men who head into the forests with wagons, filled with beer, meat and wine. The day is a very drunken celebration.
- In Russia, the day is celebrated on 23 February and is a military celebration. Women give the men in their lives gifts and it is a day for all men.
- In Brazil, it is celebrated in August and is a celebration of Mary’s father.
- Many other countries, like Spain, celebrate Father’s Day as a day for St. Joseph.
- Americans spend about $13 billion on Father’s Day (as of 2015).
- Most Father’s Day gifts consist of special outings, followed by clothing (our guess is the clothing is all about the socks and ties!).
- Father’s Day is the fourth biggest holiday, after Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s Day.
Total Risk Administrators
We love to celebrate our Dads and those who are dearest to us. Ensure they have peace of mind with a product called FUNERAL COVER, which eases the financial burden when a breadwinner passes away. We all want to afford our loved ones a funeral worthy of how much they mean to us.But so often even a simple funeral can cost a small fortune. Eliminate the stress with FUNERAL COVER and ensure the money is the least of your worries. For more information, please contact your intermediary today.
Are you the main breadwinner in your family? Here’s how to avoid leaving your family with the financial burden of funeral costs if you pass away. See the video here:
Note: All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being.
The information and opinions expressed here are believed to be accurate, based on the best judgement available to the authors, and readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. Errors and Omissions Excepted. Terms and Conditions Apply.