The good news is that in February 2017, the Statistician-General, Pali Lehohla, released the latest mortality rates and causes of death report which marks a 3% decline in mortality rate.However, should you have been amongst the 460,236 deaths that were recorded, the last thing you want your family to worry about is the cost of your funeral. Investing in Funeral Cover offers you peace of mind when the worst happens.
While South African life expectancy is up, and our mortality rate is down, we still have a low life expectancy compared to the rest of the world. According to Statistics South Africa, “South Africans’ life expectancy is now 64 years, up from 53 years in 2006 and putting the country on track to achieve the National Development Plan goal of a 70-year life expectancy by 2030.”
1. Statistics South Africa revealed these mortality facts based on all the death notification forms maintained by the Department of Home Affairs:
2. The largest single cause of death is HIV/AIDS accounting for 132 990 (25.5%) deaths. This is at least five times greater than the next largest single cause of death. Ischaemic heart disease and stroke follow with accounting for about 6.5% of the deaths.
3. Tuberculosis and interpersonal violence are next in the ranking, each accounting for about 5.5% of deaths.
4. Males have higher proportions of deaths due to homicide/violence, tuberculosis and road traffic accidents than females.
5. Females have higher proportions of deaths due to HIV/AIDS, stroke, hypertensive heart diseases and diabetes mellitus.
It is never too early, nor too late to invest in Funeral Cover.
Note: All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. The information and opinions expressed here are believed to be accurate, based on the best judgment available to the authors, and readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. Errors and Omissions Excepted. Terms and Conditions Apply. https://goo.gl/dAak9u